At Crawford’s Auto Repair, our air conditioning services begin with a free AC check.
People in the valley of the sun want their air conditioning to be functioning properly and at peak efficiency, especially during the hot Arizona summer months. Our free AC check includes a visual inspection of the AC system and a temperature measurement at the vents. This inspection may seem simple. However, it’s the best place to start since the air conditioning system should not be opened unless there is a problem.
We present a quote to the customer after the after the free AC check is completed. If the customer approves, then we begin repairs. When there is poor AC performance, we use a diagnostic machine with gauges to evaluate the AC system. For a low refrigerant level, an AC dye will be installed with refrigerant to help identify a leak. If the leak is small and does not show up right away, then the customer can take the vehicle and return when the system is not cooling well. By that time the dye should show where the leak is. Once the leak is identified, the refrigerant is removed with a recovery device and the leak is repaired. (Removing the refrigerant is called “recovering” the refrigerant in mechanic lingo). Then we charge the AC with a specified amount of refrigerant. Charging the AC means that we put the previously recovered refrigerant back in after the refrigerant has been “recycled” (or cleaned and filtered) through the recovery device.
Common problems with air conditioning repairs:
The AC system should not be opened unless there is a problem. Every time the system is opened there is a small amount of refrigerant loss which will eventually lead to poor AC performance. Often when a schrader valve or service port is opened it can create a leak. Other service shops may try to sell an AC recharge even when the there has been no change in air conditioning performance. If they do this, it is a HUGE red flag. Stay away from that shop. This will never happen at Crawford’s Auto Repair, because we don’t use service writers. Other shops may use a “free AC check” as a bait and switch promotion. This means that they’ll lure customers into the shop and then charge them for services that aren’t necessary. The only preventative maintenance on an AC system is replacement of the cabin air filter. While we may have “free AC checks” to allow our marketing to compete, we do not do bait and switch advertising. We just explain the findings that were revealed with the inspection.
Another problem that we find is sometimes people have tried to stop an AC leak with a can of “AC Stop Leak”. This can destroy the entire air conditioning system. Often there is a large amount of oil and seal conditioner in the fix-it-yourself cans. The amount of oil in an AC system is critical to the cooling performance and with extra oil the compressor will fail. There are some repairs that non-professionals can do at home. We describe many of them on our Car Car Tips page. However, the air conditioning system is complicated and best left to professionals for repairs.
What to expect from Crawford’s when you bring us your vehicle for a free AC check:
- You’ll be greeted with a friendly welcome. We’re always happy to meet new people.
- You’ll speak directly with an owner/auto technician. Our business model does not include service writers, who are essentially middleman sales people. Service writers create gaps in communication between the customer and technician, and they often try to up-sell the customer to increase commissions. Without service writers, we can actually diagnose your vehicle’s problems better and for a much better price.
- You’re always invited into our repair shop to observe the mechanic as he works. You’re also welcome to sit comfortably in our waiting room with free WiFi internet access. If you need to go somewhere while your vehicle is in the shop, we offer a free shuttle service.
- We treat each vehicle as if it belonged to our own mother.
- We never try to sell unnecessary repairs. We just tell it like it is and we don’t do “bait and switch” advertising.
- We strive to live up to our slogan of “quality you can trust.” See our customer reviews.
“Jeff took my car right away, correctly diagnosed the problem and fixed it fast and fairly affordable. He is pleasant to deal with and I feel he is a trustworthy mechanic.” –Sara C.
If you’re not satisfied with the performance of your air conditioning then bring it into the shop for a free AC check. Try us out and we’ll help you stay cool!
Visit us today or call (480) 201-0740